Wondering how to choose wallpaper for a small living room without making it look even smaller?
A small space doesn’t mean you have to play it safe when it comes to wall decor — it just means you have to make the best of the little space you do have.
It can be a little overwhelming when it comes to choosing a wallpaper pattern for any room in the house because there are so many great options to choose from these days. So, where do you start?
Let’s take a look at some commonly asked questions about wallpapering the living room, and then we’ll share some of our favorite wallpaper patterns for a small space.
We’ll even walk you through the process of estimating how much wallpaper you need to buy for those of you who are eager to get started!
First of all, let’s start by determining which wall(s) to paper.
This post may contain affiliate links and we may earn commissions when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. See our disclosure policy for more details.
Which Wall Should I Wallpaper in the Living Room?
You should wallpaper whichever wall you want to draw attention to — it doesn’t necessarily have to be the first wall you see when you walk into the living room.
It could be the fireplace wall or even the inside of a little nook.
Keep in mind that, if you wallpaper behind the sofa, you won’t be able to see it when you’re sitting down. And big, bulky furniture could obstruct the view.
Wallpapering the entire room could get a little overwhelming, but if you want to use it on all of the walls, you might consider putting it above some wainscoting or a chair rail.
What Wallpaper Will Make a Small Room Look Bigger?
Patterned wallpaper can make a small room look bigger. Go for larger patterns, rather than small, intricate ones.
Stripes can help to expand a room either horizontally or vertically, depending on which direction the stripes go.
Choosing a Wallpaper for Your Room’s Style
How do you know if the wallpaper you’ve chosen fits the room’s style? While we believe that it’s ultimately a matter of personal taste, you might want to look for a wallpaper pattern that fits a particular design style.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing a wallpaper for your living room’s style.
- Romantic = damasks, florals
- Traditional = damasks, stripes
- Formal = damasks, large scale patterns, dramatic colors
- Casual = faux finishes, organic designs
- Contemporary/Modern = geometric, abstract, large scale florals
- Country = plaid, gingham
- Rustic = textured, plaid, wildlife
- Glam = embossed, reflective, or glittery patterns
- Victorian = floral damasks
Now that you have some ideas to go with your living room’s style, let’s move on to our top wallpaper picks for a small living room.
Best Wallpaper for a Small Living Room
Following are seven of our favorite wallpaper choices for a small living room.
1. Seabrook Faravel Prussian Blue
This blue, greige, and off-white wallpaper features a beautifully romantic watercolor floral pattern.
2. Schumacher Morgan Stripe Porcelain
These subtle vertical stripes alternate between wider and narrower, and will add height to any traditional living room.
Shop Morgan Stripe Porcelain here.
3. Seabrook Navy Deco Lattice Navy & White
This navy lattice pattern really pops against the white background. It would add a dramatic touch to the contemporary or formal living room.
4. Seabrook Champlain Damask
A beautiful blue, taupe, and bone white damask pattern like this one will help to dress up any small living room.
5. Schumacher Yellow Traverse Wallpaper
Porter Teleo takes a traditional trellis pattern and brings it into the 21st century by blowing up the scale and imbuing it with their signature hand-painted look.
6. Schumacher Ayame Sisal Aquamarine
This classic, refined sisal wallcovering has a distinctive depth, elegant woven texture and luminous sheen. Subtle variations are part of its natural beauty.
Shop Ayame Sisal Aquamarine here.
7. Cole & Son Acquario Pal BL & MLT
This aquatic wallpaper features a variety of fish on an aqua colored background and would work well in a rustic setting, such as on the wall of a lake cabin.
Estimating How Much Wallpaper to Buy
Wondering how many rolls of wallpaper you need to buy? Follow these steps.
- Measure all of the walls and then multiply the height by the width of each (in feet).
- Add up all of the measurements for the total square footage.
- Deduct the square footage of all windows, doors, and other openings.
- Check the wallpaper roll label to find out how many square feet it will cover. Divide your total square footage by the number on the roll to figure out how many rolls you’ll need.
- Buy one extra roll; if you don’t need it, you can always return it.
How to Choose Wallpaper for a Small Living Room
Do any of these patterns fit your home’s style? Which wallpaper will you choose for your small living room?
If you didn’t find one that quite fits your personal style, don’t worry — there are lots more options at your disposal at DecoratorsBest. (You can even order $5 samples to try out!)
How to Arrange Wall Art in the Living Room Like a Pro
How to Decorate a Slanted Wall in the Living Room
9 Rules for Decorating With Plants (& the Best Varieties for Beginners)